Thursday 8 June 2017

British General Election 2017

I've never really thought of myself as a political activist, but I guess I have been all my life.
In my time at the BBC I was the Broadcasting, Entertainment, Communications and Theatre Union (BECTU) representative at both the Open University and White City. I negotiated deals in conjunction with my Union colleagues to give better redundancy deals during the horrific "Producer Choice" years. Many people came up to me afterwards and thanked me for my work for them. 

I have been a Woman's Liberation supporter from the time I went to Hornsey College of Art and discovered that there actually were many wonderful women artists who were totally ignored. Before that I just thought that all the great masters were men! 
Judith and Holofernes (1612-21) by Artemisia Gentileschi.
Artemisia Gentileschi.   Raped as a teenager, she turned her art into a weapon.

I have tried all my life to make the world a better place, not ljust for me, but for everyone. I have fought bullies at school and in the workplace, I have fronted up to Bosses over sexual harrassment and even left jobs because of it.

I wore Solidarnosc badges, Grades are for Turkeys not BBC Secretaries, and badges to support our Nurses.
 
Now I am trying to influence people not to vote for an uncaring Government in an uncaring world. 

I also want young women to vote, because in 1918 after years of suffering and deaths of young women, women in this country got to vote. It was a step forward from being a man's possession into being a modern independent woman.
Image result 
I just hope that by tomorrow, the fake Mrs Thatcher and her men in black will be a thing of the past and we will get people who care about what happens to us.

It's often said about BREXIT, "It's the will of the British people."
It wasn't. It was 48% of people who wanted to stay and 7% who abstained and 51% for, it was basically half and half.

A lot of people who voted for it were co-erced into it by relatives/friends/partners etc.  Without thinking or knowing what it would actually mean for us as a country.

We have always been a mongrel nation, so for me immigration doesn't even factor. Anyway what about all the Brits living abroad?

A great deal of people do not think for themselves at all.  A great deal of people refuse to vote saying it's nothing to do with them. Then moan about the Government in place.

Blimey this has been a rant and a half on a miserable wet Summer's day - flaming June indeed. Followed by flaming July and a bloody awful August.

Have a good day everyone.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment